Find below flight data and analysis focused on the South East Asia aviation market, with data powered by OAG's Schedules Analyser. The data is updated monthly. Seats are calculated as departing seats (one-way).
- South East Asia airline capacity in November 2023 is 35m seats, this is 21% below November 2019 levels but 11% higher than November 2022.
- Domestic capacity continues to account for 58% of all seats, while international capacity makes up the remaining 42% of seats.
- Both domestic capacity and International capacity are down 21% vs November 2019.
- International capacity is recovering vs 2022, growing by 40% (relative to November 2022).
- Total seats per day in the region has decreased month-on-month by 3%.
- The largest country by seat capacity in South East Asia is Indonesia, with 10.2m seats; accounting for 29% of the region's air capacity.
- Thailand is the second largest with 6.5m seats in November 2023; accounting for 18% of the region's capacity.
- Vietnam remains the third largest country in South East Asia in capacity terms but has had a large increase in seats per day adding 10% more this month compared to last month.
TOP 10 DOMESTIC ROUTES
TOP 10 INTERNATIONAL ROUTES
- The top domestic route in South East Asia remains Hanoi (HAN) to Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) with an increase in capacity month-on-month of 11% to 827k seats.
- Airline capacity has also increased on the other domestic Vietnam routes, 6% on Da Nang (DAD) to Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) and 17% on the Da Nang (DAD) to Hanoi (HAN) flight route.
- Five of the Top 10 domestic routes are internal Indonesian flights with Jakarta (CGK) to Makassar (UPG) now the largest of these with 535k seats and is the second biggest domestic route in South East Asia.
- Singapore continues to be a key hub in South East Asia with seven of the Top 10 international routes in the region starting or ending there.
- The top four international routes are between Singapore and other major regional hub airports - Kuala Lumpur (KUL), Jakarta (CGK), Bangkok (BKK) and Denpasar-Bali (DPS).
- Kuala Lumpur (KUL) to Singapore (SIN) remains the busiest flight route with 389k seats this month, however, seats per day have dropped by 5% this month vs last month.
- Capacity on the routes Jakarta (CGK) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) and Bangkok (BKK) to Incheon (ICN) have grown the most in the Top 10 with both increasing by 8% compared to last month.
TOP 10 AIRPORTS BY TOTAL SEATS
TOP 10 FASTEST CHANGING AIRPORTS BY INTERNATIONAL SEATS
- The Top 10 airports in SE Asia remains unchanged and make up 60% of all capacity.
- Singapore Airport has moved up a place to be the largest airport by capacity in SE Asia in November with 3.16m seats.
- Jakarta moves down a place to be the second largest airport with 3.14m seats this month.
- Both Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) and Hanoi (HAN) have seen the biggest increase in seats this month with both seeing capacity increase by 6%.
- Phuket (HKT) has introduced the most capacity, increasing by 75k seats this month compared to last month.
- Manila (MNL) has added the second most number of seats, adding 25k and accounts for 8% of the total international market in SE Asia.
- This month sees the first full month of operations at SAI, the new Angkor Wat International Airport serving Siem Reap.
TOP 10 AIRLINES BY SEATS
Top 10 Airlines in South East Asia by departing seats (one way).
TOP 10 AIRLINES BY SEATS ADDED
Top 10 Airlines by seats added month-on-month.
- Lion Air remains South East Asia's largest carrier by seat volume, with capacity at almost 2.9m seats but capacity has fallen by 20% in November 2023 vs last month.
- Vietnam Airlines has moved up to be the second biggest carrier in South East Asia with 2.2m seats moving AirAsia into third place however this is only 4k seats between the two airlines.
- Vietjet has added the most number of seats this month adding 168k, a 10% monthly increase.
- Vietnam Airlines has introduced the second-largest increase of 163k seats, an 8% monthly increase, moving this airline to be the second largest in SE Asia.
27 November 2023Aviation Market Analysis
As the dust settles on the latest seasonal holiday and attention switches to the next one in four weeks’ time, we’...