SOUTH EAST ASIA
LATEST INSIGHTS AND ANALYSIS
discover the BUSIEST AIRPORTS, AIRLINES AND FLIGHT ROUTES IN SOUTH EAST ASIA this month | NOVEMBER 2022
Find below flight data and analysis focused on the South East Asia aviation market, with data powered by OAG's Schedules Analyser. The data is updated monthly. Seats are calculated as departing seats (one-way).
TOTAL AIRLINE CAPACITY (DOMESTIC + INTERNATIONAL) IN SOUTH EAST ASIA - NOVEMBER 2022
- Overall capacity in South East Asia is 29% behind November 2019 at 31 million seats.
- Domestic capacity, boosted by a strong recovery in Indonesia and Vietnam's domestic markets, is just 19% below 2019.
- International capacity still has a long way to go, at 43% below 2019 levels.
SEATS BY COUNTRY
TOTAL SEATS BY COUNTRY - NOVEMBER 2022
- Indonesia continues to have the biggest air market in South East Asia, with 9.6 million seats in November 2022 and is sitting at 73% of 2019 capacity levels.
- Vietnam continues to be the most recovered country in South East Asia:
- Capacity in November 2022 is -10% compared to 2019 (pre-Covid) and last month's (October 2022) capacity was +2% ahead of 2019 levels.
- With 5.4m seats it is the second biggest air market in South East Asia.
TOP 10 FLIGHT ROUTES IN SOUTH EAST ASIA
TOP 10 DOMESTIC ROUTES - NOVEMBER 2022
TOP 10 INTERNATIONAL ROUTES - NOVEMBER 2022
- Vietnam's key trunk route between Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City continues to be the busiest domestic route in the region and is the second busiest domestic route in the world with 927,991 seats.
- 8 out of 10 of the busiest domestic routes are from Vietnam or Indonesia with one route in the Philippines, Cebu to Manila
and one in Thailand, Phuket to Bangkok Suvarnabhumi.
- Jakarta to Medan Huala Namu has had the biggest capacity increase compared to last month with 21% more seats.
- The Top 6 busiest international routes start or end in Singapore, reflecting the degree of recovery taking place there.
- The other four routes in the Top 10 are from Bangkok, Jakarta and Denpasar.
- Jakarta to Kuala Lumpur has had the biggest capacity increase compared to last month with 33% more seats.
- Bangkok to Manila is the most recovered route compared to November 2019 with capacity 6% higher than 2019 capacity levels.
TOP 10 BUSIEST AIRPORTS IN SOUTH EAST ASIA
TOP 10 AIRPORTS BY TOTAL SEATS - NOVEMBER 2022
TOP 10 FASTEST GROWING AIRPORTS BY INTERNATIONAL SEATS - NOVEMBER 2022
- Jakarta continues to be the busiest airport in South East Asia this month, with 3m seats.
- Singapore is the second busiest airport with 2.5m seats and capacity has grown 10% in November 2022 compared to October 2022.
- Capacity for the Top 10 Airports has increased in November 2022 compared to last month by 3%.
- Singapore Changi Airport is the fastest-growing international airport this month adding 216,813 seats (10%).
- Kuala Lumpur International Airport is the second fastest-growing airport adding 159,029 seats (13%).
- Bangkok Suvarnabhumi International Airport is the third fastest-growing international airport adding 156,712 seats (11%).
TOP 10 BUSIEST AIRLINES IN SOUTH EAST ASIA
TOP 10 AIRLINES BY SEATS - NOV 2022
Top 10 Airlines in South East Asia by departing seats (one way).
TOP 10 AIRLINES BY SEATS ADDED - NOV 2022
Top 10 Airlines by seats added for Nov 2022 vs Oct 2022.
- Indonesia-based Lion Air continues to be the biggest carrier currently in the region with 3.5m seats in November 2022.
- Vietnam Airlines is the second biggest carrier with 2.4m seats and Vietjet is third with 1.8m seats.
- Vietnam Airlines and Batik Air are the only airlines in the Top 10 to have capacity above 2019 levels at 116% and 111%.
- Vietnam Airlines is the fastest-growing airline this month compared to last month adding 237,555 seats and is operating at 115% November 2019 levels.
- Malaysia Airlines has added 128,231 seats this month compared to last month which makes it the second fastest-growing airline and is at 78% of November 2019 capacity levels.
Busiest Routes Right Now - see the world's busiest international and domestic routes ✈️
Busiest Airport in the World - extensive data on the Top 10 Busiest Airports in the World based on total airline capacity this month 📊
US Aviation Market Insights and Analysis - data focused on the US, including Top 10 Airports, Top 10 Airlines, states adding most capacity + more 🌎
On-Time Performance - access monthly OTP data and rankings for airlines and airports 🏆
THE FUTURE OF TRAVEL:
This week global scheduled airline capacity – that is, the number of seats being flown by airlines around the world – remains only 85% of where it ...
The dizzy heights of summer when global capacity was over 100 million seats a week are now a long way behind us. Capacity has slipped back to 89.4 ...
The recovery across the travel industry is gaining steam, and hotels are getting a chance to focus on some of the larger questions spurred by the ...