US AVIATION MARKET
LATEST INSIGHTS AND ANALYSIS
discover the BUSIEST AIRPORTS, AIRLINES AND FLIGHT ROUTES IN the us this month | SEPTEMBER 2022
Find below flight data and analysis focused on the US aviation market, with data powered by OAG's Schedules Analyzer. The data is updated monthly. Seats are calculated as departing seats (one-way).
TOP 10 BUSIEST AIRLINES BY SEATS
Top 10 Airlines in the US by departing seats (one way) in September 2022.
- The Top 10 largest airlines in the US remain unchanged again this month.
- Allegiant Air LLC have decreased capacity by 24%, 380k seats compared to last month.
- The gap between JetBlue and Spirit has widened slightly, there are now 304k seats between them, whereas last month there were just 28k.
- View Busiest Routes Right Now to see the world's busiest international and domestic airline routes this month.
TOP 10 BUSIEST AIRLINE ROUTES BY SEATS
Top 10 Busiest Airline Routes in the US by departing seats in September 2022.
- LAS-LAX remains the busiest route this month even with a 9% decrease in capacity compared to last month.
- JFK-LAX has dropped to 3rd place and Honolulu-Kahului has moved up to 2nd place.
TOP 10 BUSIEST AIRPORTS
Top 10 Airports in the US by departing seats (one-way) in September.
- Atlanta remains the busiest US airport in September 2022.
- The top ten airports remain unchanged this month but Chicago O'Hare and Denver have swapped places; Chicago O'Hare is now in 4th place whereas Denver has moved up to 3rd place.
- The Top 3 Airports by total departing seats one-way are:
- ATL 4,622,503 seats
- DFW 3,653,845 seats
- DEN 3,617,656 seats
- View Busiest Airports in the World to see data on the world's Top 10 busiest global airports.
TOP 10 AIRLINES - SEPT 2022 VS AUGUST 2022
Top 10 Airlines by seats added month-on-month
- Spirit Airlines added the most seats in September 2022 with 90k more seats than in August 2022.
- American Airlines and Southwest Airlines have both decreased seats in September 2022 by over 1m seats each which is 8% of American Airlines' capacity and 6% of Southwest Airlines.
- The Top 3 Airlines this month (in terms of seats added this month vs last month) are:
- Spirit Airlines = +90,132 seats
- Norse Atlantic Airways = +11,830 seats
- Frontier Airlines = +11,636 seats
STATES ADDING MOST CAPACITY IN AUGUST 2022 VS JULY 2022
- Total airline capacity for the US has decreased by 6% compared to August 2022.
- Only three US States have added seats this month compared to last month these were:
- New Mexico: +9,415
- Alabama: +441
- North Dakota: +405
TOTAL US SEATS BY MONTH / YEAR
Below shows total US seats for both domestic and international by month and by year. Hover over the image for detailed information.