US AVIATION MARKET
LATEST INSIGHTS AND ANALYSIS
DISCOVER THE BUSIEST AIRPORTS, AIRLINES AND FLIGHT ROUTES IN THE US THIS MONTH | MAY 2023
Find below flight data and analysis focused on the US aviation market, with data powered by OAG's Schedules Analyser. The data is updated monthly. Seats are calculated as departing seats (one-way).
TOP 10 BUSIEST AIRLINES BY SEATS
Top 10 Airlines in the US by departing seats (one way) in May 2023.
- US carriers are operating 98.4 million seats in May 2023, which is more or less unchanged from April allowing for the difference in days between April and May.
- The big 4 - American, Southwest, Delta and United account for 74% of US capacity.
- Allegiant Air decreased capacity by 10%, just over 180k seats.
TOP 10 BUSIEST AIRLINE ROUTES BY SEATS
Top 10 Busiest Airline Routes in the US by departing seats in May 2023.
- Honolulu (HNL)-Kahului (OGG) is the busiest US route this month, with 316k seats. Increasing its volume of seats by 4% in May.
- Hawaiian Airlines added almost 9k seats on the HNL-OGG route and Southwest almost a further 4k.
- Atlanta (ATL) - Orlando (MCO) and Las Vegas (LAS) - Los Angeles (LAX ) were the second and third largest routes.
TOP 10 BUSIEST AIRPORTS
Top 10 Airports in the US by departing seats (one-way) in May.
- There are 665 airports in the US with scheduled air services this month, up from 654 last month.
- Capacity from the Top 10 airports continues to contribute 36% of total US capacity.
- All the Top 10 airports have seen capacity grow between 3 and 5% compared to April 2023.
- The largest airport is Atlanta (ATL) which handles 5% of all capacity at US airports.
TOP 10 AIRLINES - MAY 2023 VS APR 2023
Top 10 Airlines by seats added month-on-month.
- Delta Air Lines have added the most seats this month in absolute numbers, with more than 800k additional seats in May. An increase of 5%
- Four European carriers (LH, DE, AF and BA), plus Cathay Pacific and Air Canada were amongst the Top 10 airlines by Seats Added
- Condor increased its capacity by 184% , 22k seats
STATES ADDING MOST CAPACITY IN MAY 2023 VS APR 2023
- Overall, average daily capacity is largely unchanged from April.
- The state of California had the highest number of additional seats in May, compared to the previous month, with almost 750k more seats. Over 295k of these were added by Southwest Airlines and a further 147k by United Airlines.
- Texas also increased capacity by over 600k seats, with Southwest, United and American Airlines each adding over 140k seats.
TOTAL US SEATS BY MONTH / YEAR
Below shows total US seats for both domestic and international by month and by year. Hover over the image for detailed information.
Contact Our Press team
For enquiries, please email email@example.com
US & LATAM
+001 617 969 9192
EMEA & ASPAC
+44 (0)1582 695050