US AVIATION MARKET
LATEST INSIGHTS AND ANALYSIS
TOP 10 BUSIEST AIRLINES BY SEATS
Top 10 Airlines in the US by departing seats (one way) in May 2022.
- The Top 10 largest airlines in the US remain unchanged again this month, with American Airlines dominating first position with 19,137,272 seats in May.
- Southwest Airlines moves ahead of Delta Air Lines, although the margin is still very close with just 253 seats between them!
- View Busiest Routes Right Now to see the world's busiest international and domestic airline routes this month.
TOP 10 BUSIEST AIRLINE ROUTES BY SEATS
Top 10 Busiest Airline Routes in the US by departing seats in May 2022.
- This month the Top 3 Busiest Airline Routes in the US are:
- New York JFK - Los Angeles = 284,754 seats
- Atlanta - Orlando = 262,537 seats
- New York La Guardia - Chicago O'Hare = 261,484 seats
- Atlanta - Orlando (ATL-MCO) moves up this month from third busiest airline route to second busiest.
- New York JFK - Los Angeles (JFK-LAX) remains the busiest US airline route this month.
- Denver - Phoenix which returned to the Top 10 in March, has moved up one place to ninth position this month with 226,932 seats (compared to217,177 seats in April).
TOP 10 BUSIEST AIRPORTS
Top 10 Airports in the US by departing seats (one-way) in May.
- Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport remains the busiest US airport in May with 4,713,673 seats.
- Las Vegas has moved up from ninth position into seventh.
- View Busiest Airports in the World to see data on the world's Top 10 busiest global airports.
TOP 10 AIRLINES - MAY 2022 VS APR 2022
Top 10 Airlines by seats added in the US for May 2022 vs April 2022.
- The Top 3 Airlines this month (in terms of seats added this month vs last month) are:
- American Airlines = +914,585 seats
- United Airlines = +887,100 seats
- Southwest Airlines = +782,209 seats
- Significant airline capacity is being added this month again by all the US major airlines.
- Notably, JetBlue are not on this list, following their recent announcement about trimming back capacity this summer.
STATES ADDING MOST CAPACITY IN MAY 2022 VS APRIL 2022
TOTAL US SEATS BY MONTH / YEAR
Below shows total US seats for both domestic and international by month and by year. Hover over the image for detailed information.
Domestic airline capacity in the US is now 8% below and international airline capacity is 16% below pre-pandemic levels (using 2019 data as a baseline).