View and interrogate OAG’s ever popular Busiest Airline Routes whenever you need as they evolve and change over time, regularly providing updates on the busiest flight routes in the world. These include the Top 10 Busiest Global Airline Routes, Top 10 Domestic Airline Routes and International Airline Routes by region. Our world flight routes data is powered by Schedules Analyzer.
In September 2022 the Busiest Domestic Airline Route in the World is Jeju International-Seoul Gimpo (CJU-GMP) with 1,290,949 seats and the Busiest International Airline Route in the World is Kuala Lumpur - Singapore Changi (KUL-SIN) with 326,492 seats. Find extensive flight data and analysis for domestic and international airline routes below and discover the busiest air routes in the area of your choice.
Busiest Domestic Airline Routes - September 2O22
Global Top 10 Busiest Domestic Airline Routes
- The Busiest Domestic Airline Route in September 2022 is Jeju (CJU) -Seoul (GMP) with 1.3 million seats.
- Capacity for this route, however, is 9% lower this month compared to last month
- Routes in places 2 to 5 remain the same as last month with Sapporo New Chitose (CTS) – Tokyo Haneda (HND) in 2nd place, Hanoi (HAN) - Ho Chi Minh City (SGN) in 3rd place, Fukuoka (FUK) – Tokyo Haneda (HND) in 4th place and Melbourne (MEL) - Sydney (SYD) in 5th place.
- Routes in 6th to 10th place are the same routes as last month but in a slightly different order.
- Beijing (PEK) to Shanghai (SHA) has moved up to 6th place this month from 10th last month with a capacity increase of 13%.
China's Top 10 Busiest Domestic Airline Routes
- There have been some changes this month in The Top 10 busiest routes in China’s domestic market, on average there has been a capacity increase of 10% this month compared to last month.
- Beijing (PEK) – Shanghai Hongqiao (SHA) remains the largest route with 655,343 seats, 13% higher capacity than last month.
- Guangzhou (CAN) – Shanghai (SHA) is the second busiest route with a 50% capacity increase and moves up 2 places from 4th place last month.
- Shanghai (SHA) – Shenzhen (SZX) is in 3rd place this month, with a 30% capacity increase.
- Chongqing (CKG) – Shenzhen (SZX) has dropped out of the Top 10 from being in 6th place last month and Guangzhou (CAN) – Nanjing (NKG) has moved up to 10th place.
USA's Top 10 Busiest Domestic Airline Routes
- Las Vegas (LAS) – Los Angeles (LAX) remains the busiest domestic route in the USA with 286,262 seats.
- Although capacity has been increasing on this route over the last 2 months, in September we have seen it drop by 9%.
- Honolulu (HNL) – Kahului (OGG) has moved up 2 places and is now the 2nd busiest route with a capacity increase of 3% since last month.
- Moving down the rankings this month are New York JFK (JFK) – Los Angeles (LAX) and New York La Guardia (LGA) – Chicago O’Hare (ORD). Both routes have given up 1 place, now ranking in 3rd and 4th places respectively.
- Anchorage (ANC) – Seattle (SEA), which was in 5th place last month, has dropped out of the top 10 alongside Las Vegas (LAS) – San Diego (SAN).
- Taking their places are Denver (DEN) – Phoenix (PHX) and New York JFK (JFK) – San Francisco (SFO). These routes have moved up into the top 10 in 9th and 10th place respectively.
Busiest International Airline Routes - September 2022
This month there is a fair bit of change in the Top 10 rankings for Busiest International Airline Routes:
- Kuala Lumpur (KUL) – Singapore (SIN) keeps its spot at the top of the international route ranking this month, with 326,492 seats, just over 10,500 seats each day.
- Cairo (CAI) – Jeddah (JED), which was ranked second last month, has dropped to 5th place with seats falling by 18%.
- Dubai (DXB) - Riyadh (RUH) is the second busiest route this month, moving up 1 place from last month. In 3rd is Antalya (AYT) – Moscow Vnukovo (VKO) and New York (JFK) – London Heathrow (LHR) is in 4th place.
- Manila (MNL) – Singapore Changi (SIN) has dropped out of the Top 10 this month and Dubai (DXB) – Jeddah (JED) has moved up into 8th place.
- With the exception of New York, all the airports serving the busiest routes are located in Europe, the Middle East or Asia.
Global Top 10 Busiest International Airline Routes
Top 10 Busiest International Airline Routes by Region
The busiest flight routes in the world are defined as those with the largest volume of scheduled airline seats in the current calendar month. Data is for flights in both directions on each route and is sourced from OAG Schedules Analyzer in the first week of each month. The flight data reflects the most recent full calendar month for the busiest scheduled domestic and international flight routes in each category.
Related OAG Content:
Busiest Airports - view the World's Busiest Airports ✈️
US Aviation Market Insights and Analysis - data focused on the US, including Top 10 Airports, Top 10 Airlines, states adding most capacity + more 🌎
Most Connected Airports - tracking the recovery of the world's most connected airports 🛄