View and interrogate OAG’s ever popular Busiest Airline Routes whenever you need as they evolve and change over time. Including the Top 10 Busiest Global Airline Routes, Top 10 Domestic Airline Routes and International Airline Routes by region. Data powered by Schedules Analyzer.
In May 2022 the Busiest Domestic Airline Route in the World is Jeju International-Seoul Gimpo (CJU-GMP) with 1,261,409 seats and the Busiest International Airline Route in the World is Cairo-Jeddah (CAI-JED) with 353,926 seats. Find extensive flight data and analysis for domestic and international airline routes below.
Busiest Domestic Airline Routes - May 2O22
Global Top 10 Busiest Domestic Airline Routes
- This month, like last month, all the Busiest Domestic Airline Routes in the top 10 operate within Asia Pacific apart from Jeddah to Riyadh.
- Jeju to Seoul continues to be the busiest domestic air route and has been in number one position since the start of the year.
- In second position this month is Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City which has moved up two places from last month with a 26% increase in seats.
- Sapporo New Chitose to Tokyo Haneda continues to keep third position and Fukuoka to Tokyo Haneda has dropped two places to be in fourth position.
- Melbourne to Sydney continues to be in the top 10 and is the 5th busiest domestic airline route this month.
- Jakarta to Denpasar-Bali has moved up two places to be the 6th busiest domestic air route with a 14% increase in seats.
- Jeddah to Riyadh continues in 7th place and Mumbai to Delhi drops two places to 8th.
- Jakarta to Medan Kuala Namu has dropped out of the top 10 and Tokyo Haneda to Okinawa Naha has moved into the top 10 in 9th place.
China's Top 10 Busiest Domestic Airline Routes
- In China’s domestic airline market this month, the top three busiest domestic airline routes have remained unchanged from last month with Beijing to Shanghai being the busiest route, Guangzhou to Shanghai second busiest and Shanghai Hongqiao to Shenzhen third; all three routes dropped in capacity from March to April by -25%, -13% and -31% respectively following the covid outbreaks in Shanghai.
- Beijing to Shenzhen has moved up five places to be the fourth busiest domestic airline route in China with a 51% increase in seats.
- Beijing to Chengdu has dropped four places and is now the 9th busiest route reducing the number of seats by 17%.
- Beijing to Guangzhou has also dropped three places and is now the 10th busiest route in China’s domestic market.
USA's Top 10 Busiest Domestic Airline Routes
- In the US domestic market for May, New York JFK to Los Angeles remains the busiest domestic air route for this month.
- Atlanta to Orlando is the second busiest route moving up one place from last month.
- Las Vegas to Los Angeles has moved up one place to be the 3rd busiest air route and therefore New York La Guardia to Chicago O’Hare has dropped two places to 4th, even with a 4% increase in seats compared to last month.
- Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale, Honolulu to Kahului and Los Angeles to San Francisco all remain in the same places 5th, 6th and 7th respectively.
- Honolulu to Los Angeles has dropped out of the top 10 and Los Angeles to Chicago O’Hare has moved up to 10th position.
Busiest International Airline Routes - May 2022
- In the Global Top 10 International Busiest Airline Routes for May, Cairo to Jeddah continues to be the busiest route.
- London Heathrow to New York JFK continues to be the second busiest route and Kuala Lumpur to Singapore Changi is the 3rd busiest route moving up 3 places from last month and moving Dubai to Riyadh down to 4th place.
- Flight routes from Dubai feature in places 4 to 7 in the top 10 busiest airline routes with Dubai to Riyadh in 4th place, Dubai to London Heathrow in 5th, Dubai to Mumbai in 6th and Dubai to Jeddah in 7th place.
- Dubai to Jeddah has dropped four places this month with a decrease in seats of 13%.
- Dublin to London Heathrow and Delhi to Dubai have dropped out of the top 10 and Copenhagen to Oslo and Cairo to Riyadh have moved into it.
- The Middle East region dominates the Top 10 International Busiest Airline Routes for May with 6 of the 10 routes being from the Middle East Region.
- London has two routes in the top 10 and the addition of Copenhagen to Oslo keeps Europe’s presence.
- London to New York and Orlando to San Juan keeps America’s presence and Singapore to Kuala Lumpur maintains Asia Pacific’s in the Top 10 busiest international airline routes for May.
Global Top 10 Busiest International Airline Routes
Top 10 Busiest International Airline Routes by Region
The busiest air routes in the world are defined as those with the largest volume of scheduled airline seats in the current calendar month. Data is for flights in both directions on each route and is sourced from OAG Schedules Analyzer in the first week of each month. The flight data reflects the most recent full calendar month for the busiest scheduled domestic and international flight routes in each category.
Related OAG Content:
Busiest Airports - view the World's Busiest Airports ✈️
US Aviation Market Insights and Analysis - data focused on the US, including Top 10 Airports, Top 10 Airlines, states adding most capacity + more 🌎
Most Connected Airports - tracking the recovery of the world's most connected airports 🛄