IN THE WORLD
WHICH IS THE BUSIEST AIRPORT IN THE WORLD? - NOVEMBER 2022
View and interrogate the World's Busiest Airports, with data powered by OAG's Schedules Analyser.
The Top 10 Busiest Global Airports in the World are calculated using total airline capacity (domestic and international flights). The Top 10 Busiest International Airports are calculated using international airline capacity only. The data is updated each month.
BUSIEST GLOBAL AIRPORT IN THE WORLD - NOVEMBER 2022
- Total airline seats are 9% down this month compared to October 2022.
- Atlanta continues to be the world’s busiest airport with 4.7 million seats, a 2% decrease compared to last month. In November 2019 Atlanta was the 2nd biggest airport behind Beijing.
- Dubai and Tokyo Haneda airports remain in 2nd and 3rd places. Dubai has increased capacity between November and October 2022 by 3%, it is the only airport in the top 10 to have an increase in seats this month. Tokyo Haneda’s capacity is unchanged (3.9M).
- London Heathrow Airport has moved up to be the 4th busiest airport this month with Dallas Fort Worth moving down one place to 5th.
- 7 of the Top 10 this month were also among the world’s Top 10 busiest airports in November 2019. The airports which have seen their rankings rise, bringing them into the Top 10 now, are: Dallas/Fort Worth (from 11th to 5th), Denver Airport (from 21st to 6th) and Istanbul Airport (from 14th to 9th).
BUSIEST INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT IN THE WORLD - NOVEMBER 2022
- In November 2022, the busiest airport for international flights is Dubai with 4.2 million seats.
- London Heathrow is in 2nd place with 3.4 million seats. Both Dubai and London Heathrow were in 1st and 2nd place in 2019 as well.
Amsterdam has moved down 2 places this month to 5th and has had the biggest decrease in capacity month on month out of the airports in the top 10, -18% to 2.52M.
- London Gatwick has dropped out of the top 10 busiest international routes and Incheon Airport has moved into 10th place.
- Out of the Top 10 Busiest International Airports in October 2022, 8 were in the Top 10 in November 2019 as well. The airports which have seen their rankings rise, bringing them into the Top 10 now, are Doha (from 13th to 8th) and Madrid (from 14th to 10th).
BUSIEST EUROPEAN AIRPORT IN THE WORLD - NOVEMBER 2022
- With November being the start of the Winter season quite a few airports in the European Top 10 have seen some significant decreases in capacity: Barcelona -20%, Amsterdam -18%, Munich -16%, Frankfurt -12% and Paris Charles de Gaulle -10%.
- London Heathrow continues to be the busiest European Airport in November 2022 with 3.6 million seats and Istanbul Airport is in 2nd place with 3.3 million seats.
- Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen airport and Paris Orly have moved into the Top 10 busiest European Airports this month, Rome Fiumicino and London Gatwick have dropped out.
- Out of the Top 10 Busiest International Airports in November 2022, 8 were in the Top 10 in November 2019 as well. The airports which have seen their rankings rise, bringing them into the Top 10 now, are Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen (from 11th to 9th) and Paris Orly (from 17th to 10th).
The rankings are based on scheduled airline capacity in the current month and compared to the equivalent month in 2019, pre-pandemic. The Top 10 Busiest Airports in the World are calculated using total capacity (domestic and international) and The Top 10 Busiest International Airports are calculated using international seats only.