View and interrogate the World's Busiest Airports, with data powered by OAG's Schedules Analyser.
The Top 10 Busiest Global Airports in the World are calculated using total airline capacity (domestic and international flights). The Top 10 Busiest International Airports are calculated using international airline capacity only. The data is updated each month and is available to download by clicking the button below.
- The Busiest Global Airport in November 2023 is Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL) with 5 million seats.
- Dubai International Airport (DXB) is the second busiest airport with 4.8 million seats and Tokyo International Airport (HND) is third with 4.4 million.
- The majority of routes in the Global Top 10 Busiest Airports are the same as last month, however Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK) has returned to the Top 10 into seventh place and Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD) has dropped out.
- Capacity at Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK) has grown by 48% between January 2023 to November 2023.
- Istanbul Airport (IST) has had the biggest drop in seats per day decreasing by 7%.
- Dubai International (DXB) remains the World’s Busiest International Airport in November 2023 with 4.8 million seats and London Heathrow Airport (LHR) is the second biggest international airport with 3.7 million seats.
- Seats per day at London Heathrow Airport (LHR) have dropped by 5% this month as airlines move into the winter schedule, making the gap between first and second place bigger at 27%.
- Singapore Changi Airport (SIN) and Seoul Incheon Airport (ICN) have both moved up 2 places to be in third and fourth place respectively. This is due to Amsterdam (AMS) and Paris Charles De Gaulle Airport (CDG) decreasing capacity; seats per day for these two airports have dropped by 11% and 9% respectively.
- Frankfurt International Airport (FRA) has also seen capacity fall this month compared to last month with seats per day 13% lower, but it remains in eighth place.
- London Heathrow Airport (LHR) continues to be the Busiest Airport in Europe with 4 million seats in November 2023.
- Istanbul Airport (IST) is the second busiest airport with 3.6 million seats. The gap between London Heathrow Airport (LHR) and Istanbul Airport (IST) has become slightly bigger, 11% this month compared to 8% last month.
- All European Airports have seen capacity drop month on month in November 2023, the start of the IATA Winter season, compared to October 2023, ranging from a drop of 4% to 14%.
- Munich International Airport (MUC) has had the biggest decrease in seats per day dropping 14%. London Gatwick Airport (LGW) has dropped out of the European Top 10 busiest airports this month and Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen Airport (SAW) has moved up into tenth place.
The rankings are based on scheduled airline capacity in the current month and compared to the equivalent month in 2019, pre-pandemic. The Top 10 Busiest Airports in the World are calculated using total capacity (domestic and international) and The Top 10 Busiest International Airports are calculated using international seats only.
Sign-up to receive a monthly email alert as soon as new data is published on the world's busiest airports.
27 November 2023Aviation Market Analysis
As the dust settles on the latest seasonal holiday and attention switches to the next one in four weeks’ time, we’...