IN THE WORLD
WHICH IS THE BUSIEST AIRPORT IN THE WORLD? - JANUARY 2023
View and interrogate the World's Busiest Airports, with data powered by OAG's Schedules Analyser.
The Top 10 Busiest Global Airports in the World are calculated using total airline capacity (domestic and international flights). The Top 10 Busiest International Airports are calculated using international airline capacity only. The data is updated each month.
BUSIEST GLOBAL AIRPORT IN THE WORLD - JANUARY 2023
- Capacity globally for January 2023 is 2% higher compared to December 2022. Atlanta continues to be the world’s busiest airport with 4.7 million seats.
- Dubai and Tokyo Haneda airports remain in 2nd and 3rd places with Dubai increasing capacity between December 2022 and January 2023 by 1% and Tokyo Haneda staying the same as last month.
- London Heathrow remains in 4th place with a 1% increase in capacity and Dallas Fort Worth is in 5th place.
- In the top 10 busiest airports globally, Istanbul is the airport which has had the biggest increase in capacity this month compared to last month with an increase of 4% and moving up 3 places to 7th. Chicago O’Hare has had the biggest decrease in capacity reducing by 5% this month and has dropped 2 places to 10th.
- When compared to January 2022, 8 of the Top 10 this month were also among the world’s Top 10 busiest airports then. The airports which have seen their rankings rise, bringing them into the Top 10 now are: London Heathrow (from 19th to 4th) and Istanbul (from 13th to 7th).
BUSIEST INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT IN THE WORLD - JANUARY 2023
- The busiest airport for international flights in January 2023 continues to be Dubai with 4.6 million seats which has increased by 1% compared to last month.
- London Heathrow is in 2nd place with 3.5 million seats. Both Dubai and London Heathrow were in 1st and 2nd places in 2019 as well.
- Istanbul has moved up one place to be the 3rd busiest airport for international flights with a 5% increase in seats compared to last month.
- Singapore Changi Airport has moved up one place this month into 4th with a 1% increase in seats compared to last month.
- The airport in the top 10 for international flights with the biggest increase in seats this month compared to last month is Incheon with 9% and it is now in 7th place. In January 2022 Incheon was in 46th place which shows the recovery which has happened in the last year.
- Out of the Top 10 Busiest International Airports in January 2023, 7 were in the Top 10 in January 2022 as well. The airports which have seen their rankings rise, bringing them into the Top 10 now are: Singapore Changi (from 11th to 4th), Incheon (from 46th to 7th) and Bangkok Suvarnabhumi (from 45th to 10th).
BUSIEST EUROPEAN AIRPORT IN THE WORLD - JANUARY 2023
- London Heathrow continues to be the busiest European Airport in January 2023 with 3.8 million seats and Istanbul is in 2nd place with 3.6 million seats.
- Paris Charles de Gaulle remains in 3rd place and Madrid is in 4th place.
- 6 airports in the top 10 have had a capacity decrease this month, they are; Paris Charles de Gaulle (-5%), Madrid (-1%), Frankfurt International (-6%), Amsterdam (-3%), Barcelona (-5%) and Munich International (-9%). Rome Fiumicino has moved up into the top 10 in 10th place and London Gatwick has dropped out.
- Out of the Top 10 busiest International Airports in January 2023, 9 were in the Top 10 in January 2022 as well. Rome Fiumicino is the only airport which wasn’t in the top 10 in January 2022, it was in 12th place and is now in 10th.
The rankings are based on scheduled airline capacity in the current month and compared to the equivalent month in 2019, pre-pandemic. The Top 10 Busiest Airports in the World are calculated using total capacity (domestic and international) and The Top 10 Busiest International Airports are calculated using international seats only.