Which is the Busiest Airport in the World?
View and interrogate the World's Busiest Airports, with data powered by OAG's Schedules Analyzer.
The Top 10 Busiest Global Airports in the World are calculated using total airline capacity (domestic and international flights). The Top 10 Busiest International Airports are calculated using international airline capacity only. The data is updated each month.
Busiest Global Airport in the World - August 2022
- Atlanta remains the World’s Busiest Airport with 4.75 million seats, but this is 1% fewer seats than last month.
- The Top 3 airports remain the same in terms of ranking as last month, with Atlanta, Dubai and Dallas/Fort Worth taking the Top 3 spots.
- Toyko Haneda moved from 8th place last month to 4th place this month with an increase in capacity of 4%.
- Guangzhou ranked 10th last month, drops out of the Top 10 this month to be replaced by Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport.
- Compared to August 2019:
- 7 of the Top 10 this month were also among the world’s Top 10 Busiest Airports in 2019.
- The airports which have seen their rankings rise, bringing them into the Top 10 now, are Dallas/Fort Worth (from 11th to 4th), Istanbul Airport (from 14th to 5th), and Denver Airport (from 17th to 7th).
Busiest International Airport in the World - August 2022
- Dubai retains its position as the World’s Busiest International Airport in August, with international capacity virtually unchanged from last month at 4,091,872 seats.
- London Heathrow is ranked second (as it was last month) although capacity in August is 4% lower than in July.
- Rankings for the 3rd to 7th busiest airports are unchanged other than Frankfurt and Doha change places with Frankfurt moving up to 6th place and Doha moving down to 7th.
- Similarly, the airports ranked 8th to 10th are the same as last month but the order has changed with London Gatwick moving from 10th to 8th and Singapore and Madrid shuffling down a place.
- Out of the Top 10 Busiest International Airports in August 2022, 7 were also in the Top 10 in August 2019.
Busiest European Airport in the World - August 2022
- With the recent change in name from Turkey to Türkiye, OAG also moved Turkish Airports to region EU2 – Eastern Europe - as a result, Istanbul has dropped out of the list of Top 10 busiest airports in Western Europe.
- In August 2022, London Heathrow is the Busiest Airport in Western Europe with capacity of 3.6 million seats - this is 4% fewer seats than in the July schedule and is the result of airlines adjusting capacity downwards to better manage resources and ensure schedule integrity.
- The airports ranked 2nd to 9th are the same as were in the Top 10 list of European Busiest Airports last month with some small variations in order; where Istanbul has dropped out for the reasons given above, Rome Fiumicino has come into 10th place with capacity of 2.0 million seats.
The rankings are based on scheduled airline capacity in the current month, and compared to the equivalent month in 2019, pre-pandemic. The Top 10 Busiest Airports in the World are calculated using total capacity (domestic and international) and The Top 10 Busiest International Airports are calculated using international seats only.
**Turkey is included in this definition.
Related OAG Content:
Busiest Routes Right Now - see the world's busiest international and domestic routes ✈️
US Aviation Market Insights and Analysis - data focused on the US, including Top 10 Airports, Top 10 Airlines, states adding most capacity + more 🌎
Monthly On-Time Performance Flight Statistics - view OTP data for airlines and airports